History of the Office of the Chief Herald

History of the Office of the Chief Herald

The Chief Herald of Ireland is the State’s authority on all heraldic matters.

The post of Ulster King of Arms, Herald of all Ireland, was created by Edward VI in 1552, although the earliest reference to a herald of arms for Ireland dates from 1382. In addition to granting and confirming arms, the Office of Arms was also responsible for administering protocol and precedence at Irish Court and worked closely with the Viceroy. The post of Ulster King of Arms continued  until the death its last incumbent, Sir Neville Wilkinson, in 1941. In 1943 the Office of Arms was transferred to the Government of Ireland and renamed the Genealogical office. Since then, the Office has operated as part of the National Library and under the direction of the Chief Herald.

Further information on heraldry in Ireland is available for download here:

Heraldry in Ireland  Heraldry in Ireland_July2016.pdf (0.32 MB, Adobe PDF).

Confirmation of arms to the United Dioceses of Dublin and Glendalough, 2016
Confirmation of arms to the United Dioceses of Dublin and Glendalough, 2016
Quick Links