Heraldry in Ireland: Celebrating 75 years of heraldry at the NLI, 1943-2018

In April 1943 the Office of the Ulster King of Arms, which had been established in 1552, transferred from British control to the Irish Free State under the care of the NLI. On transfer it was renamed the Genealogical Office, but later became the Office of the Chief Herald. The NLI is marking this 75th anniversary of the transfer of heraldic services by celebrating heraldic art in Ireland over the past 75 years.

One grant of arms from each year in the period 1943-2018 has been selected for display in a small exhibition in the NLI's main building. Grantees include Irish citizens and members of the Diaspora, Irish and US presidents, counties and towns, schools and collages, dioceses, and public and private bodies.

All of the images associated with the display can be viewed atHeraldry in Ireland  Slides_heraldryinireland_251018.pdf (2.53 MB, Adobe PDF).

The Arms of Ireland, Azure a harp Or stringed Argent, were registered in 1945.
The Arms of Ireland, Azure a harp Or stringed Argent, were registered in 1945.
Quick Links