Located in the Phoenix Park, the Vice-Regal Lodge was the residence of the Viceroy, or Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. Lord Aberdeen was the Viceroy in 1913, a post he had held since 1905. The building has served as Áras an Uachtaráin since 1938, when Ireland's first President Douglas Hyde took up residence.
Close by was the Chief Secretary's Lodge, described by Irish Life in 1913 as "where the Chief Secretary seldom is", referring to Augustine Birrell's infrequent trips to Ireland. This building is now the residence of the American Ambassador to Ireland.
Áras an Uachtaráin is located in the Phoenix Park on the northside of Dublin. It is approximately 15 minutes' drive from the National Library of Ireland.
Taken in the grounds of the Vice Regal Lodge, this image shows the guests attending the house party held for the Royal Dublin Society Horse Show. Hosts Lord and Lady Aberdeen, centre, front row.
Áras an Uachtaráin (meaning 'House of the President' in Irish) remains the official residence of the President of Ireland. All Taoisigh and Government Ministers receive their seal of office here from the President.