The ITGWU leased this building as its headquarters in 1912, and purchased it outright in 1914. The former hotel became known as "Liberty Hall" and was the hub of union activity during the Lockout. From here, the union issued strike pay, established a soup kitchen, printed the Irish Worker and even boosted morale with evening plays and concerts. Rallies were held in Beresford Place, immediately outside the building.
Liberty Hall was destroyed in the 1916 Easter Rising but faithfully rebuilt afterwards. That building was in turn demolished to allow the construction of the present Liberty Hall, which opened in 1965. It continues to house the headquarters of SIPTU (Services Industrial Professional and Technical Union).
Liberty Hall is located on the corner of Beresford Place and Eden Quay, Dublin 1. It is approximately 15 minutes' walk from the National Library of Ireland.
The Food Committee pictured on the steps of Liberty Hall, holding posters dated Dec 8th, which refer to the collapse of peace talks. Delia Larkin, seated centre, front row, holds an Irish Worker poster.
In 2012, SIPTU were granted permission to demolish Liberty Hall and build a 22-storey replacement. However this was later overturned by An Bord Pleanála, which ruled that the new building would be "unacceptably dominant in the city".