Dublin's docks witnessed several events related to the Lockout including the arrival of food ships sent by the British Trades Union Congress and James Connolly's attempt to close the docks completely through the removal of all ITGWU workers (commenced 12th November 1913).The boycotting of "black" goods from locked out firms cost many dock workers their jobs, as did the increased use of delivery lorries. Police and the military were often present on the docks; guarding property, deliveries and "free labourers" brought from overseas to replace locked out workers.
The Dublin Docks run along the banks of the River Liffey starting at Custom House Quay. The quay is approximately 20 minutes' walk from the National Library of Ireland.
This image shows the arrival of the SS Hare, the first of the British Trades Union Council's (TUC) food ships, at Dublin's docks. Over £90,000 in TUC aid was collected throughout Britain, much of which was donated by individual union members.
In recent years, Dublin's docklands have undergone significant urban regeneration. The Custom House, seen here to the left, is today used as the offices of the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government.