General Election 2011 Web Archive
The General Election 2011 web archive collection consists of:
- Election candidate sites (party and independent candidates, especially those tipped for winning or those with a high profile)
- Political party sites (including smaller parties)
- Political blogs
- Official government sites
- A small number of sites with visual material such as leaflets and posters.
These sites were captured both immediately before and soon after the Election of Friday 25 February 2011.
More detailed information on the selection criteria and the scope and content of the collection can be downloaded here:
GE11 Web Archive Selection Criteria GE11_WebArchive_SelectionCriteria.pdf (0.02 MB, Adobe PDF)
Tips for searching
- It is important to remember that archived sites do not behave as normal live sites and so some links many not have been captured and a page ‘404 webpage cannot be found’ may come up. You may also come across a live Twitter feed but you will know an archived site from the ‘[Archived Content]’ which appears on upper left-hand side.
- There are a number of ways of accessing the collection, via our online catalogue and via the Internet Memory Foundation website
- Many of the sites contain Facebook, Twitter, YouTube videos and other social sites but not all may have been captured for technical reasons.
- Not all websites updated their material after the election results came out.
- A small number of sites failed on the first crawl but were successfully captured in the second.
It is your responsibility to comply with the legislation in your jurisdiction, particularly copyright (where applicable). The National Library of Ireland makes these materials available for the purposes of research and private study only. For further information please consult the Rights & Reproductions page of our website.